Monday, January 27, 2014

How do you deal with defeat? Bombed GI test 2 and USMLE practice test


How do I start this? I'm feeling pretty defeated right now. I took my 2nd Gastrointestinal test today and felt like I was guessing on half of the questions. Many of the questions were directly asking percentages of how likely a disease was or the most common causes. There were also many questions with general symptoms of Jaundice and epigastric pain and then it asked what would be the most likely cause...I don't know about you, but it that sounds pretty vague to me.
I know I didn't prepare well enough for that exam. I only listened to a quarter of the lectures and simply read the handouts, pathoma, and first aid for the rest. I also did Picmonic for the molecular biology clinical correlations. On top of getting rocked by that GI test today, I also got back my result from a practice USMLE exam. I scored in the 10th percentile. To put that into perspective, if I were to take the exam today, I would not be allowed to be a doctor... that's a defeating feeling.
How do I deal with that? Well, ironically, right after our test today I had a scheduled meeting with two of my medical school colleagues. We are all in a "spirituality in medicine" selective/class. We were meeting as an out-of-the-class assignment to discuss our spiritual life with one another and determine how our spiritual life/religion might require healthcare professionals to deal differently with us to provide optimal care. The reason for this exercise is to view one another as potential patients and learn how we can cater our medical administration in such a way as to take into consideration the spiritual needs of the patient.  One question that we were supposed to ask each other was, "Do you deal with stress in a spiritual way?"  My answer to this is a resounding, "Yes!" What do I mean by that?
I try to always keep looking forward with hope, setting goals, and never stop working.

No comments:

Post a Comment