Sunday, February 2, 2014

How to make and set family goals?

I was talking with my brother-in-law just the other day. He is living in Chicago and is working for a surgical center that has offices in major cities throughout the US. They manage surgical centers in major cities around the US. He said he and his wife (my sister) were having dinner with the CEO and really got to know him better. One of the biggest things that my brother-in-law noticed about him was how deliberate he is in both his business and home life. The CEO knows what he wants in his job AND at home, and he goes out and gets it.  If we want to raise our children successfully, and have a successful family life, while balancing Medical School or any other time consuming persuit, we need be deliberate about it.

Success isn't serendipitous, it's deliberate

How are Rachel and I deliberate?

We Set Goals:
-Ever since we've been married, planning has been an ardous and painful task. For some reason, I really hated it for the first few years. Then, one day, I was helping my brother move from his college dorm room back to home for a summer, and he had this big white board. I asked if I could have it, and with it, I created a family goal board. Since Rachel and I have been using this goal board, life, planning, and working towards our goals, has been more joyful and engaging. I might even say that this goal board has turned in our wishful hopes, into concrete plans and goals. Here's how it works...

The Goal Board:





Each year we identify our 4-5 key priorities. This year they are: 
  • Service
  • Missionary Work
  • Unity
  • Spiritual
  • Jackson
Under each of these priorities we chose a scripture that is somewhat our theme. For example, under Jackson we chose Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." That helps us keep our vision for the priority/goal. Next, we identify 2-3 specific tasks we want to accomplish each month, or in the year. For Unity we have: Weekly dates, Have one family activity to learn about our ancestors each month.  That's it. 

Planning

Monthly planning: The first Sunday of every month, Rachel and I sit down and plan out the month. We created an outline of all the things we've found are good to discuss, and we just go down the line.


Weekly planning: Every Sunday we sit down and see how we're doing on our goals for the month. We plan our week according to those goals and fill one another in on what's going on, dinner times, gym times, dates, things we need one another's help with, etc. 

Get out there and do it!
We have our goal board hanging in our bathroom. Sometimes while brushing my teeth I like to turn around and look at the goals we've set for the month. Sometimes I realize we're struggling with something, or that we are doing well with another thing. It always motivates me and focuses my efforts KNOWING what I want to accomplish. And another thing, it is incredibly unifying as a couple to know what you are striving for as a family and seeing one another working hard towards it. When we kneel down together to pray at night, it feels good to feel like the Lord knows what you're working towards and why. It's important to let Him be a part of your goals and plans because with God, all things are possible!

I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment